Wednesday, May 6, 2015

We're Active Week #7 and a Frozen (literally) Cake!


We ended the week with a bit of adoption craziness--the kind that spans an hour or two and involves disappointment followed by hope. You know?! This roller coaster is the very essence of adoption!

Anyway, we drove down to my parent's house on Saturday to celebrate my "nephew T's" first birthday. Technically, T and his brother J are my cousins, but since their dad is more like my brother than first cousin, I claim them as nephews. I figure as an only child, I can do that! T's first year of life has been an eventful one. He has an undiagnosed genetic condition (well, they know part of the puzzle but not the entirety of the picture, but I won't go into all that). He spent the first 6 months of his life in the hospital, but is now home with his vent and feeding tube and doing great. His life is such a miracle and his parents are so positive and always giving God glory for everything regarding T that it is a blessing to even just be in the room with them. We were definitely going to party for this occasion. I think the highlight for me was watching T as he tasted a bit of icing. He hasn't gotten to have many things orally and it was so cute to see his face light up with curiosity!

While we were there, we got a flurry of emails from our consultant. She told us that while we had gotten "no" answers on two of the cases, we were being asked to present on another. So, we reviewed the information and sent our "yes" back to her. As of today, we are presenting to two birth moms and waiting to hear back from those. I think we're up to 17 cases that we've seen so far. I should probably stop counting so I don't get hung up on a number, but I want to remember the details of the journey and to share those with others who are thinking of or are adopting. We went from being a bit sad at not being chosen to filled with hope about a new baby. Each one we see, especially if there is an ultrasound photo, I only allow myself to study it for a few minutes wondering "Is that our son or daughter?" I then have to put it away, as it is painful too. However, I have enjoyed praying for each of these moms and babies. I continue to pray for those who have chosen another family--and those families. Prayer is definitely an area that God is using this situation to grow me through.

On Saturday night, my parents kept the girls as we did party prep at our house for M's 4th birthday party. Kurt and I had to work at the nursery at church the next day and while we were there my mom called to say M had thrown up in their car! I thought that perhaps she was carsick so they took her home to rest for a bit. An hour later, she threw up a bit more and we decided we'd have call off the party! It was pretty sad to pack up all the decorations and figure out how to freeze the cake I had made and the cupcakes! Thankfully, we got to the store before they filled the balloons! After the girls got home, they both asked about the party but weren't too sad. We explained that we'd have it another day. Auntie did brave the germs to bring over M's presents and the Frozen scooter she got did cheer her up! Since those two incidents on Sunday, she has been 100% fine! I'm not sure if she was carsick after all or if it was a virus. We're going to try to have the party this weekend and I'm hoping the cake does melt as it thaws! I did get all my photos of it with my good camera before we froze it, just in case!

We'll be on Birthday Party Take 2 later this week, but I can't wait to snuggle M on her last night as a three-year-old tonight. She is such a beautiful, vibrant gift! I can't believe she can possibly be four! It seems like she was just a tiny baby!


P.S. Our T-Shirt Fund ended on May 1st and we sold 52 t-shirts and made $482! Thank you so much to everyone one who purchased one! I am going to try to thank each of you personally. I also can't wait to start a gallery post of everyone wearing their shirts!

No comments:

Post a Comment